Phone: 618-277-9000 Ext. 2221
Charlie Swartwout is a skilled and experienced lead trial counsel and founding member of Boyle Brasher LLC. He concentrates his practice primarily in the defense of physicians, hospitals, nurses, railroads, and transportation companies. Charlie is also active in the defense of class actions as coordinating local counsel for a number of national corporations. Charlie prides himself in working closely with his clients and their risk management professionals to devise creative and effective strategies to reduce their exposure to current and future litigation. Charlie's record of success in the courtroom evidences his unyielding willingness to try lawsuits.
Charlie has a consistently successful record of appellate work as well as a successful record in obtaining dismissal or summary judgment for his clients before trial. Charlie has secured defense verdicts or dismissals on behalf of his clients in cases involving highly emotional allegations and substantial potential damages.
Learn about Notable Cases handled by Mr. Swartwout and the firm by clicking here.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Health Care Law
- Railroad Defense
- Class Action Defense
- Transportation Defense
Publications and Presentations
- Charlie authors Chapter Fifteen, Special Considerations in a Federal Employers' Liability Act Defendant's Case, and is responsible for the yearly update. Charlie frequently serves as a speaker to groups of physicians, nurses, hospital management and quality assurance personnel. Charlie has also made presentations to attorneys for their continuing legal education and to railroad management and claims groups on current defense topics.
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Bachelor of Science
- Southern Illinois University School of Law
- Juris Doctorate
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Illinois Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar Association
- The St. Clair County Bar Association (Past President)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Counsel on Litigation Management